Man heated apartment with charcoal grill and died of carbon monoxide poisoning

Man heated apartment with charcoal grill and died of carbon monoxide poisoning

Heating switched off: tenant heats with grill and dies of carbon monoxide poisoning
In Bad Berleburg, North Rhine-Westphalia, a 53-year-old man died from a carbon monoxide poisoning in a tragic accident. The tenant had apparently heated his apartment with a grill because the landlord had turned off the heating.

Apartment heated with grill
A 53-year-old man from Bad Berleburg (Siegen-Wittgenstein district) in North Rhine-Westphalia died in an attempt to heat his cold apartment with a charcoal grill, reports the dpa news agency. The police in Siegen therefore announced that the body of the man had been discovered on Sunday by an acquaintance. According to the investigators, the heating and electricity in the house had been turned off for some time. The man was announced to have died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Tragic accident
The police and the public prosecutor's office are said to assume an accident. There is no evidence of third-party debt. The landlord could not be held responsible for the death of the man, even if he had turned off the electricity and heating. Rescue workers have to go out again and again because of carbon monoxide poisoning or suspected. The odorless gas also develops when burning glowing charcoal.

Enormous health risks from carbon monoxide
Carbon monoxide can lead to headaches even in low concentrations of 200 particles per million air molecules (ppm). At higher concentrations, symptoms such as rapid heartbeat, hallucinations, dizziness, shortness of breath, nausea and vomiting or fainting. Not only when barbecuing, but also due to defective gas heaters or wood pellet heating systems, carbon monoxide poisoning can threaten if the toxic gases enter the apartment. And even when smoking, carbon monoxide is inhaled and, together with the absorption of tar, nicotine and other pollutants, increases the risk of cancer. Last but not least, CO can damage the inner skin of the blood vessels and thus promote arterial calcification. (ad)

Author and source information



Video: Elderly Couple Dies In Apparent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning